Saturday, February 09, 2008

Volcanoes and Rain

Today brought new meaning to "dusty." The weather has been a little weird lately. This week there was one day that felt almost like August; I can't accurately describe this kind of heat, only that it really feels like the sun is shooting sunbeams directly onto my head. Then, the next day it was quite chilly, requiring a sweater. Then, today was about the windiest, dustiest day I've seen yet in my town. Everyone was walking around with their arms in front of their faces, shielding themselves from the dust. Others wrapped scarves around their faces, just like those stereotypical images of people from the Sahara. At one point, while stirring my macaroni noodles, I swore I heard somebody walking around on my roof (paranoia of living alone abroad?) but it was just giant pieces of trash being blown around (thank you, dentist for leaving your trash up there).

Now, its raining, kind of. I heard it pouring a minute ago and now nothing. I'm worried about the rabbits, out there, wet. But, they are animals and must learn survival skills. Actually, I am going to be giving my rabbits away. After much much consideration, I've decided its for the best. The last week I've put up with a stuffy nose and wheezing due to my allergies to their cute little fur. I managed to potty train them in a week, but not sure how that skill will transfer to life on the farm. Also, it became apparent today that "Fluffy Girl" is indeed a boy. And, appropriately, "Little Fella" a girl. I had my suspicions about the sex of Fluffy Girl, aka Chase. She was very very greedy with her food rations and was getting quite large. And honestly, her size was beginning to scare me a bit. I imagined her growing to equal me in size, forcing me to live on the outdoor balcony, moving in to my house, and her enormous rabbit eyes peering out the window, then throwing me a scraps of carrots and cilantro.

Aside from my imagination getting the best of me, I kept fairly busy this week planning lessons for Dar Chebab. After the training I attended last week, I was full of new ideas to try out. Friday, I put together probably the best lesson ever in my life. It involved internet research, photocopying, and scissors. By far, the most effort I've ever put into one lesson. I was so excited to teach, and then, what do you know, nobody showed up for class. Attendance has been so bad lately, and I think it stems from the African cup soccer games. Anyway, I was a little depressed Friday night, but this morning I decided I might as well try and plan something equally exciting for my Youth Cafe. I gathered all the ingredients necessary to make a papier mache volcano. This time, I had a good turnout and we built four volcanoes and had four lava explosions. The first eruption startled me a bit, because it actually shot up in the air at me, but the kids thought that was hilarious of course. Jenny, the clown. After ceremonially dumping the used volcanoes into a dumpster, we played cards.

Earlier today, I also prepared questions to ask the kids about the Dar Chebab. Questions about why attendance has been so poor, which activities they would like to see, and basically guilt them into attending regularly by sounding pathetic and lonely. It worked! They are very excited to start a drawing club and play basketball with me. (No worries, though, Moroccan kids are horrible at basketball! Fear of lay-ups will not actualize.)

Tonight I spent time perusing through itunes, because one of my students asked me for some "romantic music." My pleasure, Houcein.

2 comments:

t3reese said...

wow, you're a great writer jenny! giant rabbit eyes staring at you out the window would be totally scary....

t3reese said...
This comment has been removed by the author.