Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Best/Worst Day Ever

The best/worst day ever, I think, is a phenomenon not unique to Morocco, but I think much more common here. Today started out as just normal. Took a shower. Rode bike to Dar Chebab. Found kids already there, playing ping pong. The day was looking good.

Then, disaster. My moudir came in to watch our ping pong games and I noticed he was observing me in a weird way, almost guilty. I caught his eye, and he motioned me over with his hands. When I came over to him, he didn't look at me, but looked off into the distance and quickly mumbled that the Dar Chebab would be closing. I thought I misunderstood him, so he explained that the town has a new president who wants to close the Dar Chebab. He asked my moudir to hand in the key and stop working there. As he told me this, I almost started crying. I told him this was unacceptable and a huge problem. Just then his phone rang and he walked off to talk in private.

I stood there, feeling very powerless and returned to the ping pong game. The boy smiled at me and asked what we would be learning in English class in the afternoon. I almost starting crying again. When the moudir finally returned from his phone call, he told me that the Dar Chebab would remain open until next week, when his boss would return from the capital city. He didn't seem to have any emotional response to any of this. Just stating it matter-of-factly. So, I asked him what exactly he wanted to do. Work at Dar Chebab? Or work for the new president at his office? He said, Dar Chebab. And his reasons were only that he was adjusted to me and had participated in a training with me in Agadir last year. Not "I love youth!" or "This job is great!"

I left the Dar Chebab feeling very unsure of my future here in my town. So, I pedaled out to my host family's village to have lunch with them. We had a really bizarre lunch, too. A "mexican" salad that consisted of white rice, grated "meat log," mayonnaise, corn, ketchup, and grated cheese. It was gross, but delicious compared to the rest. There was a large frying pan with "meat" and olives. I told myself it was "meat" and pretended it was not lungs or intestines, but I almost gagged once. There were also egg plant wedges that had been baked, not fried, in oil. It was weird. It was good, however, to see them all and talk to them about the Dar Chebab.

I pedaled back into town for my afternoon English class. The first class went well and after class, I got a chance to meet with my group of boys and talk about the Dar Chebab. They aren't aware of the potential problem, but I made a point of showing the moudir the kids energy and dedication to Dar Chebab. Together, the kids and I made an entirely new schedule for the Dar Chebab. Here are the new activities:

Friends Club: a club for friends, American or Moroccan, to get together. Organize events at Dar Chebab.

Music Club: sit around, playing the drums and guitar. Learn lyrics to hip hop songs.

Art Club: draw comics. Possibly paint large world map mural on Dar Chebab's wall.

Sport Club: Every Sunday, play sports. Basketball, football, bike rides.

Library: Every morning, offer open hours at "library" in Dar Chebab. Free use of English books, magazines, newspapers, and games. Homework help.

This is of course, in addition, to the English lessons, ping pong, and Youth Cafe already taking place at Dar Chebab. Hopefully I can show the moudir or town president that Dar Chebab is actually of use to the community. I am meeting some boys tomorrow to help me create a schedule in Arabic.

So, the best day because of the great new schedule, but also distressing because of the potential bad news. Trying to stay positive here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny
Keep your strong faith and positive attitude. New doors are opening every day all around you.
Love, DAD

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

Hopefully the new president will see the impact your work is making on the youth and it will remain open.

Barb & Mike