Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Going to Oz

Things are going pretty well with my six seventeen-year old boyfriends. This week was shorter because I'm going to Ouarzazate tomorrow, but we still got in a few good games of ping pong and an English class. Their newest idea is to create a music club at the Dar Chebab. I got way too excited and told them all about the drum, guitar, and keyboard the Dar Chebab has locked away in my moudir's office. When they asked if they could see them, I figured, why not? All the moudir needs to do is unlock one door and possibly open a cabinet. Well, even though he was actually present at the Dar Chebab, sitting on a chair alone, he had no desire to open up the door and so we walked away feeling dejected.

I think he's feeling a little bitter because just last week the boys accidentally broke a window to the brand-new remodeled classroom with the football. I wasn't there when it happened and neither was he and the boys didn't actually tell him about it until he asked them. They later told me which boy kicked the ball into the window, but none of them will fess up to the moudir. So, I think he is waiting them out...seeing who will pay for the broken window.

As they walked me home tonight, they were making plans for their "band" idea....feeding off of the AIDS music festival the other day. It didn't help that today the microphones and one boom box were still sitting out from Sunday. They brainstormed who would play drums, who would play guitar...etc. I was half-listening, so when they asked me if I could sing, they caught me off guard. I replied yes, to which they smiled and nodded at each other. I think we all have different ideas about what "music club" means...and that's okay.

Like I said, tomorrow I'm making my way to Ouarzazate for a few days. Oooh, and there is a solar eclipse tonight in Africa at midnight!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hope you have fun on your adventure to Oz, Jenny! Love you!

Anonymous said...

You should start a name the band contest. I would suggest the title "Jenny's Boyz" with Jenny being the lead female vocalist.
DAD