Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I Got Rabbits!


So, boredom and loneliness have brought me rabbits. My new pets are currently busy nibbling their carrots and recovering from what I'm sure was a terrifying day.

They spent most the day spent cramped up in a small cardboard box alongside four others. I think they traveled pretty far that way. And it was a hot day, so they looked pretty gross when we first met. But, within the last three hours that we've been together, they seem to be adjusting and they're even looking cleaner. I still need to take a close look at them and pick out any bugs stuck in their fur.

The rabbits gave me many errands to busy myself with today. I tracked down a future home for them and found a good plastic orange crate, but my host cousin fell through on his promise of bringing it over this evening. So, their current residence is inside a cardboard box. He also helped me gather some weeds to feed them (we discovered a basil plant together and I forced him to take a bite out of one the leaves...people don't use basil here!), but most of them had these tiny thistles in them, which all got stuck to my clothes, and then I got into a heated discussion with some people outside my house about weeds. I guess rabbits hate weeds. They prefer carrot and mint leaves.

After picking all the thistles off my shirt and pants, I visited the vegetable man to get some carrots. When I asked him if rabbits eat the tops of green onions, he and his son laughed at me for a good five minutes. Apparently, everyone knows what rabbits eat and so it was hilarious that the American girl was asking about this. He then grabbed a handful of carrot tops to give me, but when I got home I discovered he also threw in some garbage as well.

This whole rabbit endeavor was the doing of my friend Kabira. I had been complaining to her earlier today about how I am lonely and will probably end up an old maid, and I guess her solution to this problem was rabbits. This afternoon, her mother arrived with a box full of rabbits and they decided they would make a good gift for me. One would be too cruel, best not to be lonely like me, so two were given to me. I'm not sure if baby bunnies are someday in this pair's future, but I think once they get a little bigger, it should be more clear.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a neat idea !
Have you named them yet?
Sonofherm

Anonymous said...

They are so cute! Do they have to stay in their house? Or will they get to run around yours?

Sara said...

Jenny! rabbits! fun!

Sara said...

Jenny! rabbits!? fun.

Annie ~ إني said...

I can't handle this it's so funny!!

Actually, a story is circulating in the environment sector about a group of people who tried to start a rabbit cooperative and managed to kill all the the rabbits because they fed them the wrong food. So those guys' mockery of your ignorance was totally uncalled for.