Friday, April 25, 2008

MMMM TOASTY?

Summer has arrived it seems. h-o-t. Yesterday was extremely hot and today was no better. With my acute weather temperature guessing abilities, I would wager any number between 95 and 100. I could be way off, but I doubt it.

I've been doing exercise in the mornings outside of town for the past few weeks and I knew I was in store for a little what I like to call "blastissimo" when already at 6:30 am I was sweating from the sun. The worst part of the day is definitely after lunch between the hours of noon and oh, let's say sunset. I left my house at four to walk to the Dar Chebab and basically dragged myself there. Once there, we played ping pong inside the big room or "incinerator" for many hours. After a while I started to feel really silly and started acting weird. The kids seemed to like it though, so whatever.

With the heat, it seems things stop working properly. Water. Internet. People. My Bicycle. Electricity. This year I've yet to encounter a power outage or lack of water, but it'll happen sometime this summer. The past week my boys and I have been trying to get a hold of the ex-president of our town and he has been really difficult to track down. Both my ex-moudir and current moudir seem to be absent as well. At least I have my kids.

So, yesterday the kids came over to my house and we made tie-dyed t-shirts that we plan to wear this Sunday. Sunday, if you haven't heard, is going to be a "youth olympiad" at my Dar Chebab, put together by yours truly. Today things really started coming together and I was quite pleased! I have four Peace Corps volunteers coming to the event and three of them are brining youth with them to participate! Should be an awesome time, sun permitting. We are, however, still trying to find a meal ticket for the day. We're hoping the ex-president will donate us a lunch or money for a lunch, but we have a back-up plan that involves the kids brining tajines prepared by their mothers. I feel bad that this is our back-up plan, but the kids seem to believe that their moms would be happy to cook for us. Nothing like a steaming tajine for lunch on a 100 degree day!

I posted some pictures on flickr of the tie-dying and plan on posting more after the big event on Sunday! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always enjoy your adventures. Good to maintain that sense of humor! Mike & Barb

Anonymous said...

that sounds hot! sounds like you're having fun with the kids though...