Monday, April 21, 2008

Broken, busted, on the fritz, kaput

Not to wallow in my own misery, but I need to complain about my bad luck! Last night and this morning it seems everything has gone wrong that could go wrong. In order of occurrence:

Broken door
Lazy Landlord
Bloody Noses
Perpetually clogged sink
Busted USB drive
Large cockroach hunt & kill
Crazy man at night

Broken door: more on this later, when I've cooled off a bit.

Lazy Landlord: Gave the ol' Peace Corps a call this morning and our fearless Safety & Security Advisor gave the guy something to think about. If this doesn't work, the next step is to tell him I'll leave the town if he doesn't act responsibly. That should get him moving.

Bloody Noses: Five in the past week. One happened in public and was a little embarrassing and involved me quickly walking home with a piece of paper and blood on my face! Luckily, I was right outside my door, so only a few people noticed. Got some medication at the pharmacy today to help with that problem.

Perpetually Clogged Sink: Last night after boiling water and pouring it down the bathroom sink four times, I gave up and went to bed. This morning, I bought some vinegar and baking soda and tried to blast it open, but that failed. I tried unscrewing the basket strainer but it seems stuck. I might have to call a plumber or somebody, because it's a foregone conclusion that the landlord ain't comin'.

Busted USB drive: Two nights ago I bumped my USB drive against a door frame and lucky me, it cracked right open! All my photos I've ever taken in Morocco were on that little flash drive, so I'm hoping that some knowledgeable person can take that little chip and work some kind of miracle with it. Anybody with any ideas about that, please let me know. For now, it's awaiting its fate safe inside a ziploc baggie.

Large cockroach hunt & kill: Last night while making dinner, I heard some rustling over in the corner of the kitchen. I grabbed a broom and investigated. Worried I would find a mouse, I was at first relieved but then terrified to find a cockroach the size of a cigarette lighter running towards me. I screamed, squashed it and swept it out the door.

Crazy man at night: After eating dinner and boiling water for hours, I went to bed, fell dead asleep and woke up two hours later to the sound of a crazy man outside my window. I think I wrote about a crazy man coming out at night before. I'm pretty sure it's the same dude. He likes to pick up things, hold them over his head, and throw them into the road. When he threw a rock at my house, I woke up. I watched him turn over a large dumpster and steal my neighbor's sign advertising his dentist office. Then, he entertained the entire neighborhood with his half an hour drum solo on a garbage can. After that either he passed out or found something new to throw and walked away.

Now, I do recognize I've got a few things going in my favor. The Safety & Security Advisor. Today's my day off from work. And, hmmm, is that it? Let me see.... Oh, I had a really good day yesterday.

Four of my best boys from Dar Chebab traveled with me to the next town over to meet with the Peace Corps volunteer and his boys. We planned a "Youth Olympiad" which the kids of my town are hosting with my help this Sunday. We will have a sports competition, English competition, and a leadership activity. This week my boys and I are going to tie-dye t-shirts to wear for the event. Also, we are going to meet with the president of the town on Tuesday and ask if he'll donate a lunch for the youth on Sunday. I'll write more about this later, but I'm very happy with how my work is going, despite all my personal problems!

Back to reality now. I need to find a bigger screwdriver.

No comments: