Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Marriage Proposals and Converting to Islam

Just a quick post today before I run over to the Dar Chebab to teach!

Yesterday at my adult english class we had some extra time so spent the remainder of class speaking in Arabic, so I could get some extra practice. This class is all men, mostly thirty to forty years old. They made it very clear that they do not want me to ever leave this town. They said when I try to leave in 2008 they will go on a hunger strike in protest! Then, they told me that I should live the rest of my life here and should marry somebody here. They asked if there was anybody I liked, and when I said no, they said they will just put their names in a hat and I will draw a name and the winner will get the prize of me as a bride! Haha, funny, but I think they were partially serious because they told me to think about it and get back to them. Not so funny!

Then, after class I sat with the girl who works in the bakery downstairs and she tried convincing me to marry a Moroccan man AND convert to Islam. She said I am more than welcome to join Islam and she would be worried about me when I die if I don't convert.

Okay, that's it for today - I have five minutes to get to the Dar Chebab! I will write more later, and I might be getting internet at my house...maybe today! Cross your fingers!

1 comment:

MinimumWager said...

Hey there Jenny,
I was a PCV from 2003-2005 in Macedonia and every now and then I check out other current volunteer blogs. Your post about becoming a bride and converting made me chuckle. Good Luck in the remainder of your time!

-Beth