Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Jack Chirac

Today Jack Chirac drove through my town. It was a pretty big deal for all of us. I first noticed something different around 2:30 this afternoon. The usual hustle and bustle of the street below had died down to just a lone whistle being blown. I looked out the window to find the local "police" redirecting traffic, or rather, waving them over to the side of the road and asking them to please wait there. I hurried downstairs to ask my friend what was going on. She said Jack Chirac would be driving through today. So, we pulled up two plastic chairs and sat on the curb, waiting. So did the rest of the town. People lined the streets, looking to the west. After a while, a few gendarmes flew by on their cop-cycles, followed by some SUVs, a few Mercedes, and then one black limousine. I'd like to say that we all cheered as he quickly passed by, but it was more anti-climatic than that. After he passed, the guy next to us at the chicken store asked us, "daz?" meaning, "he passed?" to which, I replied, "iyea, daz."

1 comment:

Megan said...

Just to clarify, Jacques Chirac is the former French president who just left office. Many people were wondering :)