Tuesday, March 11, 2008

New Neighbors Again

Last night around 8 pm I heard the door opening downstairs and some men come upstairs to the room next door. Annoyed that my landlord didn't mention to me that strange men would be coming to my house at night, I ignored them. Until I started hearing moving sounds. I went out ot investigate and found some men moving furniture into one of the vacant apartments. I probably reacted a bit unfavorably, but I was annoyed that nobody told me about this. So, I asked them who would be living there and they said, "us." I asked if they were married and they said no and asked why. So, I told them I was uncomfortable living alone next to unmarried men and went back inside my house.

I've gotten over it a little now, but I'm still mad at my landlord. He is so immature and irresponsible. I know he is afraid of me and that's why he didn't come over to tell me about this. But, I've told him many, many times that it is daori (necessary) for him to always inform me of what is going on, especially at night, because I am a woman living alone.

I wonder what their story is. It is very unusual for any person to live alone in this country, and especially two young men. Normally, they should still be living at home with their family until they get married. They probably work somewhere in town. My biggest concern now is if they're good men or bad men. Good men wouldn't be bad to live next to. They would make it safer for me to live here, look out for me, and mind their own business. Bad men would smoke, drink, and have women over at night, and probably harass me. So, we will see. I also am concerned about the roof situation. Normally, in Morocco, the roof belongs to the women. But, I assume they will need to wash their clothes at some point and I'd rather not have them looking at my underwear and bras. Maybe we can make some kind of arrangement for times they are allowed upstairs.

This is so typical of my life here. It's always when I get a little more comfortable, happy, that something big happens and I have to start readjusting to the new thing. By the time I am done with Peace Corps, I am going to be the most patient, adaptable person I know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets hope they are nice guys. You can always say you were there first and just assign them their days to wash and use the roof.

Anonymous said...

why should anyone who smokes, drinks and brings women home, with the women's consent of course, why should he be a bad man? Harassing you is another matter, but smoking, drinking, womanizing..
Also, why this language? I thought only American generals and politicians used to label people good and bad. People are seldom all good and all bad.
Are you sure you are grown up enough to be a peace corps volunteer?