Thursday, September 18, 2008

Two Cockroaches on my Head...and other experiences

Well, I was delusional to believe I solved the cockroach problem last month. Apparently, insecticide cannot compete with Mother Nature. I'm still without water and I believe this is the root of the cockroach problem. Last night was the last straw (I always say that) and today I began a major cleaning campaign in my house.

Last night I was drifting off to sleep and dreaming this recurring dream I have here where I am confused about where I am and if I am alone or with people. I hate this dream. I always wake up searching with my hands for a person. Let's not psychoanalyze this one too much... Anyway, last night while searching with my hands, I grazed an insect crawling toward my face. I jumped out of "bed" (a thin mat on the floor) and grabbed my sandal, found and killed a large spider. I have never seen this spider before. It had long legs, of varying sizes and was very springy. Then, I heard a rustling sound on the other side of the room and after investigating, found a large cockroach desperately attempting to find a way out of the room. I killed that one as well.

This incident follows a more disturbing one that occurred just last week. Here is a rundown of that evening:

1. 9:30 pm: Resting on ponj (mattress that acts as couch), talking with Abdslam on phone, when I feel a cockroach crawling on my head. Scream, want to die, etc, kill the cockroach. For the rest of the evening wonder why cockroach walked on my head. Am disturbed.

2. 2:30 am: sleeping on "bed" when I hear someone pounding on my door downstairs. Sweating, I hear a man yelling in Arabic "Where is the American woman? Where is the white girl? Is this her door? Is this it?" Peek out window to find man with towel on his face, spitting a lot. (he was high on some chemicals) Half an hour passes with him pounding on my door and then three other men join him and try to coax him away from my door. One man convinces him to go somewhere with him on his motorcycle. They leave. I am scared. (at the time it didn't occur to me to call the gendarmes, but I was in that frozen, make-no-sudden-movements mode)

3. 5:00 am: sleeping again on "bed" when I hear and feel something crawling near my face. I jump out of bed, turn on the lights and see nothing. Then, I hear some rustling sounds coming from INSIDE my pillow. I beat the pillow with my sandal, fearing a mouse will come out, instead just another big cockroach scurries out. I kill it.


So, whatever, I guess I just have to deal with the fact that I must share my house with cockroaches. I have a feeling that as soon as the water comes back on, this problem will solve itself. Inshallah.

In other news, we passed the midway mark of Ramadan. Only half a month left of fasting! I'm not fasting this year, but that doesn't mean that I'm still not incredibly bored. I lead a training session this past weekend on active-listening skills, so that got me out of my house and active for a while. The group was really great and I enjoyed meeting new people and talking about the People magazine my grandparents sent me.

I passed my two-year mark September 12 while at the training. Two years in Morocco. I can hardly believe my service is coming to an end. The next two months I will spend saying my goodbyes and preparing for my replacement's transition into my community. It's weird to think that he or she is here now in Morocco, training for service in my town. November 26 is the official day for my closing of service.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny

We can't wait to personally welcome you home from your Moroccan experience. You certainly deserve some rest and relaxation in your home.

DAD

Anonymous said...

Bugs, yuck. Are they larager in Morocco? Casry witht he guy beating on your door. Good thing the other men came along and directed him away from your door.
WHere willyou go next onyour Peace Corp journey?

Barb